Precision machining of ceramics
This page introduces the precision processing of ceramics performed at TDC.
For more information on TDC’s precision polishing services, please also see the “Precision lapping service / ultra precision lapping service” page.
- Precision processing of ceramics at TDC
- Ceramics that can be precision machined
- Examples of TDC precision machining of ceramics
- Ceramic precision processing example 1 : YAG ceramic processing
- Ceramics precision processing example 2 : Alumina ceramic accuracy insertion
- Ceramics precision processing example 3 : mirror finish of alumina coated product
- Ceramics precision processing example 4 : Single crystal SiC chip substrate polishing processing
- Ceramics precision processing example 5 : Alumina ceramics stage polishing processing
Precision processing of ceramics at TDC
TDC also accepts precision machining of ceramics.
Precision machining of ceramics requires accumulated know-how and technology because the conditions and processes are different from those of metal machining.
With the ceramics processing technology that TDC has cultivated so far, we will solve the problems of ceramics processing of all kinds of precision and shape.
Features of TDC’s ceramic precision processing
TDC’s ceramics precision processing has the following strengths and characteristics.
- High-precision polishing technology
TDC’s precision polishing technology enables ultra-high-precision ceramics precision processing at the micron and nano level by controlling the removal amount.
Compared to processing methods such as cutting and grinding, it is possible to handle any shape without applying a load to the object.
- Short delivery time and express service available
By owning more than 100 polishing machines, we can achieve short delivery times even for large lots and complex processing.
If you are in a hurry, we will also respond to consultation with “express response”.
- Please feel free to contact us even from a small lot.
Please feel free to contact us for small lot orders starting from 1 unit and prototype production.
- Owns over 100 abundant processing machines
TDC owns more than 100 polishing machines such as lapping machines and surface grinders.
We also have various processing machines such as machining centers and milling machines, so we can handle all kinds of processing.
- About half of the polishing equipment is manufactured in-house
About half of the more than 100 polishing machines are made in-house, realizing “low-cost” and “high-quality” manufacturing.
Ceramics that can be precision machined
We perform precision processing of ceramics using all processing technologies such as polishing and grinding, which are our strengths.
The representative ceramics that can be handled are as follows.
- silicon carbide
- *It is also possible to polish the coating surface such as thermal spraying such as silicon nitride.
Characteristics of ceramics
Ceramics are materials with hardness comparable to cemented carbide.
The main features of ceramics are as follows.
- Good releasability
The coefficient of friction is 1/11 that of SKD and 1/6 that of cemented carbide.
The specific gravity is 1/2 of SKD and 1/3 to 1/4 of cemented carbide.
The hardness is 2 to 5 times that of SKD and 1 to 2 times that of cemented carbide.
- little thermal displacement
The coefficient of thermal expansion is 1/2 to 1/5 of SKD and 1 to 1/3 of cemented carbide.
- high corrosion resistance
Quality and accuracy can be maintained for a long period of time even in harsh temperature environments.
- Materials with high longevity
Die life is 10 to 20 times longer than SKD and 2 to 4 times longer than cemented carbide.
Examples of TDC precision machining of ceramics
Here are five examples of typical ceramics precision processing that can be processed and manufactured with TDC.
Ceramic precision processing example 1 : YAG ceramic processing
- Shape: Cutting of dia.150 size discs and flat plates, accuracy adjustment
- Accuracy: cutting and mirror polishing, surface roughness Ra0.001um (Ra1nm), flatness 0.0001mm, thickness tolerance +/-0.005mm
Ceramics precision processing example 2 : Alumina ceramic accuracy insertion
- Shape: dia. 600×30t
- Accuracy: surface roughness Ra0.01um or less, flatness 0.003mm
- *Purpose of surface treatment before and after surface treatment
Ceramics precision processing example 3 : mirror finish of alumina coated product
- Shape: Concave and convex mirror surface processing
- Accuracy: Overall surface roughness Ra0.04um or less, machining allowance 0.01mm or less
Ceramics precision processing example 4 : Single crystal SiC chip substrate polishing processing
- Shape: 35.1x 35.1 x 1.0～1.9t
- Accuracy: single-side polishing, flatness 0.002mm, parallelism 0.002mm, surface roughness Ra0.0003um (Ra0.3nm) or less, thickness tolerance +/-0.05mm
Ceramics precision processing example 5 : Alumina ceramics stage polishing processing
- Shape: dia.325×35t
- Accuracy: Double-sided flatness 0.001mm, single-sided surface roughness Ra0.2um or less